Question about launching a PPC strategy

Hi,

does the auto campaign go first, and is there an option to set bids for each target group (close match, loose match, substitute, etc.)?

Should I create a separate campaign for each of the target groups, or have one campaign and set different bids?

Personally I set them up like this:

3 campaigns for each product (or parent product if it’s a variation listing)

Campaign 1 is an Auto campaign. I use this to collect search terms that Amazon thinks are relevant

• if you get low Acos on certain search terms then use neg exact keywords to remove the offending keyword, but if they are only a little over your breakeven it’s sometimes worth leaving them, You’ll be losing a little money but you’ll be gaining data

• for every sale you get, get the search term and do the following

• add it as a neg broad keyword in Campaign 1 (this prevents you getting more clicks for it or any variations of it in C1)
    • add it as a broad in Campaign 2 (you now get the clicks for any variations of iit in C2)
    • also add it as a neg exact in Campaign 2 (this prevents you getting clicks for the exact term that sold in C2, but still allows any variation of it)
    • add it as an exact in Campaign 3 (the exact term gets clicks in C3)

Campaign 2 - This is my research campaign and I use it to find variations on keywords which have previously got a sale
All keywords in this campaign should be broad matched. All neg keywords should be exact matched
High ACOS search terms can be neg exacted to remove them but again, if they aren’t losing loads of money then you can leave them as you are gaining knowledge of good keywords

• for every sale you get, get the search term and do the following
    • add it as a neg broad keyword in Campaign 1 (it might already exist in C1)
    • also it as a neg exact in Campaign 2
    • add it as an exact in Campaign 3

Campaign 3 is the final campaign and this one should make you money. All the keywords in here should be profitable, unless they have just been recently added.

• Anything that has a high ACOS should be left to run for long enough to be sure that it’s not good.
  • if it’s not good then you can neg keyword it but I prefer to reduce to the bid until it either never gets seen or becomes profitable or breakseven

This structure lets you gather a wide range of keywords from Amazon in C1, they are funnelled into C2 where you expand on them further. Keywords that have made a sale are funnelled into C3 where they can be made profitable and monitored or.

3 Likes

Very clear. Thank you for the detailed explanation.