Prepare for the new General Product Safety Regulation

Announcement reposted from Amazon Europe:

If you sell non-food products in the EU and Northern Ireland, you’ll be required to meet General Product Safety Regulation (GPSR) requirements in 2024.

On December 13, 2024, the GPSR will introduce new requirements for most non-food consumer products.

To comply with the regulation, you’ll be required to do the following by December 13, 2024:

1. Ensure all the products you sell in the EU and Northern Ireland meet existing labelling and traceability requirements.
  2. Have an EU Responsible Person for those products.
  3. Label the products with the contact information of the Responsible Person, the manufacturer, and, if applicable, the importer.
  4. Label products with the type, batch or serial number.
  5. Label products with safety information and warnings, where applicable, in the language of the country of sale.
  6. Display the Responsible Person information and the manufacturer’s name and contact details for each product in online listings.
  7. Display a product picture and any other information needed to identify the product in online listings.
  8. Display warning and safety information in online listings, in the language of the country of sale.

To prepare for this regulation to take effect, we recommend that you complete the first five requirements as soon as possible. In early 2024, we’ll update you with instructions on how to complete requirements 6 to 8.

For more information, go to General Product Safety Regulation (GPSR)

Applies to all but I’m sure our Chinese friends will find ways of “bending” the rules. They always do.

Since Brexit, I only only sell to the United Kingdom but as Northern Ireland which is part of the UK and (sort of) part of the EU for trade, has special arrangements, the GPSR will apply so the main issue (as I see it) will apply. EU Responsible on product/packaging. I know there are other huge issues but I’m ignoring those for now.

I want Amazon to have an option to prevent FBA sales to Northern Ireland and I’m currently in a case ping-pong with Seller Support trying to see what, if anything may or may not be done by year end.

4 Likes

Sadly, I am afraid a similar policy will soon come to the UK as well. Whatever gets implemented in the UK/EU/US usually follows to the other regions.

I do have a presence in Japan and United Arab Emirates and they have no such laws. I have never encountered anything similar in Asia.

It seems as if for some reason, the authorities in the West were trying their hardest to prevent ordinary people from being able to earn money online. A month won’t pass without a new business-sabotaging policy being introduced. This is insane. A year ago, everyone had to sign up for the EAR, WEE, LUCID etc enviro packaging calculation contributions, then two years ago all jewelry listings needed $500 laboratory tests.

Now, the EU wants every seller to do all of this for every listing (!):

1. Ensure all the products you sell in the EU and Northern Ireland meet existing labelling and traceability requirements.
  2. Have an EU Responsible Person for those products.
  3. Label the products with the contact information of the Responsible Person, the manufacturer, and, if applicable, the importer.
  4. Label products with the type, batch or serial number.
  5. Label products with safety information and warnings, where applicable, in the language of the country of sale.
  6. Display the Responsible Person information and the manufacturer’s name and contact details for each product in online listings.
  7. Display a product picture and any other information needed to identify the product in online listings.
  8. Display warning and safety information in online listings, in the language of the country of sale.

I have over 10000 listings and I am full time dealing with my legal action, so there is absolutely no way I will be selling in Europe after December 2024.

4 Likes

Thanks for the superb summary. I think most sellers have no idea of the impact this will have.

This is still going on? Good luck.

It will be a sad day if that comes.

5 Likes

The cabal is protecting their interests by quashing small companies. Small companies are an extreme threat since they can pivot and adapt in days/weeks. Large companies are still discussing their “options” and the small company is already selling the “new” product line.

When my company kicked amazon out of #1 in the category, they price pointed me. Did not work since I am an actual manufacture. The next step was to ban my product…amazon was selling the exact same functionality item, my design was better with a lower manufacturing cost. At the time I did not realize they would ever attack my company. FYI, the only reason they did not take the other competitors was the fact they were buried in the rankings. They only took down the others after my attorney asked for some reasons why I was singled out. Those small time sellers were good enough to collect fees from but LOOK OUT, if they actually get ahead and make money they are now a threat to amazon.

I am not the only one, technology has opened the door for MANY OTHERS. They are afraid of that and will do what ever they can get away with to stop the small companies.

4 Likes

Can anyone help me determine if I need a EU responsible person please. I’m just going round in circles with Amazon and the companies they direct you to ?

You got two choices I think, but some active sellers will have up to date info on the Amazon schemes (where I don’t).

Lets take Germany as an example;

Generally, for import reasons you can

a) Import under your own UK business but you’d have to apply for a DE EORI number and overseas VAT number, which can be associated to your UK business, but because you’re importing and then selling (in the future) on Amazon, German customs determine you have to pay import VAT and DUTY on your ‘REVENEUE PRICE!!!’. I shit you not.

b) Open your own company there, create a commercial invoice to sell from Carl Graham UK to Carl Graham Gmbh, register the EORI and VAT number to the Gmbh, and import it so that you then buy the goods from yourself in Germany and the German company claims back the local import VAT. The UK company can still be the seller on amazon/your account, or the German one whichever you prefer. You will only pay duty/vat then on the correct ‘cost/commercial’ value which would appear on your invoice from your UK company to your DE company. You should be able to do this option too by appointing a responsible agent to handle being the importer/reclaims of VAT for you but it’ll probably cost you a hell of a lot more than it does to setup your own firm there and have an accountant handle the books/filing once a year.

2 Likes

What @PC_Parts is saying is in Plan b) is the most economical option if you are doing decent business in the EU.

1 Like

As long as the targeting continues, this will never end, unfortunately.

Exactly, that’s why companies such as Amazon or Facebook are always caught in the legislation and immediately implement changes, regardless of the expenses or necessary labour.

If you are operating your own business from a couch or a beach, you are the biggest threat, since you can earn hassle free with very little monitoring by authorities. With the power and reach of social media, anyone can be perceived as a threat these days.

1 Like

They are spying all the time, using that “anonymous” data. When you give into 2F authorization and use your cell for a verification text they know exactly who you are no matter where you go on the internet. Also the ISP (internet service providers) sell your information that is associated with your IP address and gateway mac…Let us not forget about CDN, so much data is being sold NOTHING is private.

If you have to use 2F its best to use a burner phone, not your good one.

2 Likes

You are correct about this. But it doesn’t work like this in all countries. I would guesstimate that 50% of countries require that your passport is scanned and left saved in the system before you are able to obtain any kind of phone number, let it be a data plan or a pre-paid sim card.

This way, just like you mentioned - any phone can be tracked by authorities. I believe it works like this in the United States or in the United Arab Emirates. In UAE, they required a residence in the country for any data plan purchase and passport was always scanned even if you bought a temporary 2 GB sim card.

In Slovakia, anyone can go to Tesco, get a pre-paid sim card and immediately use it without trace.

2 Likes

Amazing, thank you!

In the USA if you buy it in a Walmart you are on security video, the esn on the cash box reciept leaves a timestamp that can be traced and they have your photo. Then they run the photo in the drivers license database.

Had to purchase a sim card for a fallback modem from a walk-in phone store and they wanted everything before they would sell it to me. But that was using the “front” door.

1 Like

Will this apply in the UK as well? Does anyone know?

At least here in Europe, data processors are required to destroy all video files from CCTV after a certain period of time.

On the other hand, it does serve purpose when any phone is traceable to solve crimes. I always wondered how do the law enforcement manage to trace literally anyone in a matter of minutes once anything happens. They see CCTV, if something happened let’s say in a forest at a remote place, they will see which cars travelled there by reviewing closest roads / villages footage.

1 Like

I am so much waiting to see Amazon allowing sellers to be placing contact information for their suppliers into listings.