**New Amazon sellers: how did you decide your first product price? I’d like to help with a free pricing review**

Hi everyone,

I’ve been spending a lot of time thinking about one of the earliest — and probably most difficult — decisions a new Amazon seller has to make:

What should I actually charge for my product when I launch?

When you’re new, you usually don’t have much sales history yet.

You may know your product cost and what competitors are charging, but that still leaves a lot of questions:

Should I launch below competitors to gain traction?

Should I start higher and leave room for promotions?

How much margin should I protect?

Which competitors should I actually compare myself with?

Is the cheapest seller really the right benchmark?

What happens if I launch at the wrong price and have to correct it later?

This is one of the problems we’ve been working on at Pricenaux .

We’ve built a Launch Pricing approach specifically for products with little or no historical sales data. Instead of relying only on your own past sales — which obviously don’t exist yet — the analysis can look at the product, market conditions, competitive pricing, positioning and the economics you provide to help establish a more informed starting price.

But I’d also like to learn directly from sellers who are going through this process now.

So I’d like to invite a few new Amazon sellers here to participate in a free pricing audit / research survey .

If you’re preparing to launch a product, or have recently launched one, you can share an ASIN or basic product information with us and we’ll look at the pricing situation with you.

There is no obligation to purchase anything.

In return, I’d simply ask for your feedback:

What information was useful?

What was missing?

What pricing questions are hardest for you as a new seller?

What would have made you feel more confident before choosing your launch price?

Our goal with Pricenaux is not to tell sellers:

“Your competitor charges $19.99, so you should charge $19.98.”

We think pricing should consider much more than that.

A new seller especially needs to understand things like competitive positioning, margin boundaries, market context and the trade-offs behind different price points before making the decision.

If you’re launching your first few products and would like us to look at one with you, reply here or send me a message.

I’d be very interested to learn how new sellers are approaching this decision — even if you don’t want the audit.

When you launched your first product, how did you choose the starting price?

For a first launch, I think protecting your margin while testing the market makes more sense than simply trying to be the cheapest seller. Competitor pricing is useful, but fees, product costs, demand, and positioning can change the picture quite a bit. The idea of looking at those factors together before setting the starting price is interesting.

Exactly! this is very close to how we think about launch pricing as well. Being the cheapest can sometimes create traction, but it can also unnecessarily sacrifice margin or position the product in a way that becomes difficult to change later.

What we’re trying to understand with Pricenaux is the full pricing context : product costs and fees, margin boundaries, competitor behaviour, market positioning, and eventually how the market responds once the product is live.

For a new product, there’s also an interesting challenge because there’s little or no historical sales data to rely on. So rather than trying to identify one “perfect” launch price, we think it makes more sense to establish a reasonable starting range , understand the assumptions behind it, and then learn from the market.

I really appreciate your point about testing the market while protecting margin — that balance is exactly what we’re trying to help sellers evaluate.