Brands unwilling to sell to Amazon sellers

Hey there,

I am a new FBA seller, does anyone know how to find the best wholesale distributors? This has been a pain.

Most of the big brands don’t want to open accounts with Amazon resellers. I wonder why?

Any suggestions appreciated

I am one of those that will not allow resellers to on ebay or amazon. I do still have one reseller that is allowed on ebay. That company is honest with the folks and has not stabbed us in the back.

When it comes down to it you only need one seller per platform. Just way too many sellers, that drives down the profits thus sellers are not providing the level of customer satisfaction that adds value to a brand. In turn those online sellers are negatively impacting the entire retail sphere for the item.

Not much you can really do unless you want to get your hands dirty and actually do some work. Many amazon sellers around here will buy stuff like chedder cheese powder in bulk and repackage into small containers. The ones that really know how to make labels that compel the buyers to engage will do well. So if you don’t have a flair for that type of creativity find a local professional and let them do it.
Your best bet would be to make a personal visit to China and find the “real” manufacture. Make sure that you can actually see their production facility on the inside while product is being made. Also be aware they will also stab you in the back and sell out the back door…if you find one that will be honest and actually give you a discount price not “wholesale” price, your success will be much greater.

8 Likes

There are plenty of distributors out there. It’s a matter of proper research though :grin:

1 Like

Have them ship the products to you, rather than directly to the Fulfillment center.

1 Like

Be careful of the advice that FunkyMokey has given you.

While it may enable you to open an account with the brand, the brand is likely to find out that you are selling on Amazon and if they really does not want you to sell on Amazon, they will just put in a complaint for any reason they chose and your stock will be confiscated by Amazon.

By all means, fly by the seat of your pants if you want. This works for many people and they do well. But it’s not the way I chose to run my business.

2 Likes

This is the golden rule. Usually, the manufacturer will sell on eBay or Amazon directly and search for resellers who can broaden their reach to other platforms.

3 Likes

You answered your question. Few brands are going to supply Amazon resellers. Just find a wholesaler. Google ‘(your desired brands) + wholesaler’ and you will find what you are looking for.

1 Like

Yes, that was the program for many years.

Now they have shot off both of their own feet. By using the “back door” to sell product they wiped out all the small resellers. Now the larger company has to deal with 1 order at time and all the loss & drama associated with that. Before, the small ebay sellers would buy in volume and all the sales were final and in volume. Most were even prepaid, much better arrangement than getting ripped off and abused by the online marketplaces.

1 Like

There are several reasons why a brand might not want to be offered on Amazon. The big ones I’m familiar with include:

1. The brand owner doesn’t want their product on Amazon because they think it will negatively affect the perception of the brand. Lots of luxury brands are in this category.

2. The brand owner is worried about counterfeit products and other fraud. This has become a serious problem for some brands over the last few years.

3. The brand owner can’t agree on terms with any third-party seller on the Amazon marketplace. Usually it’s because the brand owner wants a bigger margin than the sellers think they can afford.

4. The product is in a banned category on Amazon. Examples include guns and ammunition, hoverboards, medication, etc.

5. The product can’t legally be sold online or in certain jurisdictions. For example, until recently you couldn’t by Kinder Surprise eggs on Amazon.com, because they were banned by the U.S. government. They were available on Amazon sites in Europe and Canada.

6. The product and/or brand are specifically banned by Amazon. This happens often with brands and products that Amazon considers fraudulent or that otherwise don’t follow the company’s requirements.

There are other reasons, but I think that probably covers the majority of cases.

2 Likes

You made an assumption without knowing the facts.

I signed MAP agreements with all my major manufacturers, so there’s no doubt that selling on Amazon, eBay, etc., is prohibited. I’m sure the OP’s brands would have similar policies, if that was the case.

3 Likes

Hello,

I don’t understand how is it possible that so many sellers are struggling to find wholesalers. Google any brand followed with the word wholesale and you will find what you are looking for.

Indeed, no brand is going to source an Amazon or eBay reseller. Why would they need a middleman to cut their profits when they van sell on those platforms themselves and only resell to B&M or various websites.

3 Likes

Or they can check out websites like

https://www.faire.com/

They offer access to many brands. I picked up a few unique manufacturers through them. Minimum purchase has been $150 to $200.

4 Likes

Thank you all for your advice!

2 Likes