Should I patent every private label product?

My strategy for selling on Amazon FBA is private label. Basically, I plan to take an existing product and slightly improve it to create my own product.

Here is my question:

Should I get a patent every time I do this for each product?

Or, what is the threshold for when to get a patent vs when to not?

Thank you

You are probably not fully understanding what a patent is.

“A patent is an exclusive right granted for an invention, which is a product or a process that provides, in general, a new way of doing something, or offers a new technical solution to a problem.”

Unless you have really invented something which qualifies and you are prepared to pay the thousands of dollars/pounds/euros etc needed to apply for a patent, then you are probably after something less, eg a registered design or a trademark. You clearly have not invented something, just tweaked an existing product.

But in answer to your question, no, you don’t have to do this for each product but you may wish to do so to protect your business. If you are just tweaking something, you will probably not be granted a registered design but you probably should trademark your brand, not necessarily your product.

3 Likes

Hello @dylan,

thank you for posting into our forum. Actually, your understanding of the matter is not indifferent to what other newbie Amazon Sellers think. However, I would like to clarify it for you.

The purpose of intellectual property is to protect intellectual property rights. If you haven’t designed a product - then you cannot get a patent. Patents are there to protect genuine inventors. Patents require more than just design, you need to develop an unique concept.

Trademarks are there to protect brands. If you are unable to come up with an idea for your own product, then register your brand name and sell products under it.

4 Likes

Patent is not done on little changes doing on the product but if you have done a good product development like 40-50% change(improvement) that a layman can identify then you should go for patent to secure your unique selling proposition.

If you add a new feature which no one else is offering in its product then you can file a patent.

1 Like

Thank you all for the advice, really helpful :slight_smile: